Benefits & Financial Assistance

Washington State has many public benefits and programs available to assist people in maintaining housing or paying for food, utilities, medical expenses, and more. 

Washington Connection is a free website that helps people learn about and apply for public benefits and programs available to people who live in Washington State.  It is easy to use, and the best way to find out what programs might be available for a specific individual or family is to visit the website.

If your family has an emergency and you need a one-time cash payment to obtain or keep safe housing or utilities, you may be eligible for the Additional Requirements for Emergent Needs (AREN).

Basic Food, the state’s food stamp program, helps people in Washington make ends meet by providing monthly benefits to buy food. Participating in Basic Food also has other benefits.

To learn more or to apply for food assistance, call 877-501-2233.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) provides temporary cash, food, and medical help for families in need. Some families participate in the WorkFirst Program. The WorkFirst Program helps participants find and keep jobs.

Persons who are caring for a relative’s child, are legal guardians, or are acting in the place of a parent are also able to apply for TANF benefits on behalf of these children through the Non-Needy Relative, In Loco Parentis and Legal Guardian Program.

Career Connect Washington creates work-based and academic programs for young people to explore, learn, and earn money or college level credit. Use their directory to find support and explore resources.